Here are some tips how to install veneer stone on fireplace:
1. Do it yourself installation start by preparing your work area. A prepared area will make your job go smoother and it will ensure that your job has no errors.
2. Mix your mortar until it's the perfect consistency - not too dry and not too wet. Pay attention because the key to a great install is the mortar
3. Lay the stones out on the floor like a jig saw puzzle then pick which stones you want to put where.
4. Put the stones up with a nice variety to get a natural feel and a look that is just like true rock.
5. You will need to determine how much stone you will need. Measure your surface area to determine the square footage. Don't skimp. You'll regret it. Instead order a little extra to give you the flexibility you need.
6. Most stone distributors have an excellent in stock selection of the more standard stones like the river rock but if you are going for something a little more exotic like castle stone you should anticipate extra delivery time and you should also order a little extra to make sure you don't run short and then run into trouble matching up.
7. Besides your manufactured stones you will need a moisture resistant barrier and you will need a metal lath for the mortar to adhere to.
8. You'll need a few special tools to get the job done. A Mason trowel, Finishing trowel, ½" tuck pointer, grout bag, and a circular saw.
9. You will need to take off any existing trim that's around the stone fireplace and the weatherproof barrier needs to be put up to keep the moisture away from the mortar. Use a stapler or hammer and nails to fasten.
10. You will want to make sure the nails are into the studs by at least 1 inch. Tape the edge and cover the fireplace opening with plastic to protect it while you work.
Do it yourself stone fireplace doesn't have to be that difficult as long as you take some time to plan before jumping into your project and these 10 tips “How to install veneer stone” will definitely keep you on the right track.